This podcast (8 minutes) will introduce you to the Proverbs Podcast series. This podcast covers the preface to Proverbs (1:1-7), and explains how the thought behind the Disciplined Life series. Click on the link to listen. Download it from here.
1 The proverbs of Solomon son of David, king of Israel:
2 for gaining wisdom and instruction;
for understanding words of insight;
3 for receiving instruction in prudent behavior,
doing what is right and just and fair;
4 for giving prudence to those who are simple
knowledge and discretion to the young—
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance—
6 for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise
7 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction. -- Proverbs 1:1-7
- The Book of Proverbs, the 20th book of Scripture, is perfect for anyone who wants to make a fresh start.
- Proverbs are both compact and powerful!
- Questions for self:
- Do I begin projects, but not complete them?
- Could I use some help with my key relationships?
- Would I like to listen to God's wisdom on marriage and family?
- Do I overeat -- is this area of my life yet to be brought under the lordship of Christ?
- How about my speech: Do I talk too much? Am I too negative?
- Am I advancing in my career? Perhaps I need more wisdom in my social interactions?
- Do I struggle with any sexual sin?
- Would I like to be wiser or more observant?
- Do I abuse drink?
- Could I use some tips on better managing my employees?
- Are there money issues in my life that need the Lord's discipline?
- Am I impetuous, acting too quickly? or too slowly?
- Am I disorganized?
- Do I easily become over-committed? Do I have a hard time saying no?
- Is there sloth in my life?
- Do I want to become more mature?
- Imagine how much you could change in the next month, if you simply focused on the pearls of wisdom that make up Proverbs!
- No quick fix, but we can build biblical conviction.
- How it works:
- Read chapter
- Reread or recap chapter
- Identify a challenge for the day
- Ideal for personal devotions. Please consider committing to the entire series.
Responses to the series:
- "Simply phenomenal! Thank you for the daily devotional from Proverbs. I find it very helpful personally, and I like the daily challenge, the prayer, and the fact that you read two different versions for opening and closing -- this gives me a pattern for future Bible studies. Well put together."
- "I want you to know that every morning my wife and I are listening to the series. It's giving some real structure to our Bible study. Thank you."
- "80% of the family group I lead are using the Disciplined Life devotionals. They're great. I thought you'd like to know that."
- "I just want to take this time to let you know how grateful I am for you and for the incredible impact the disciplined life series from Proverbs is having on me. I love these lessons. We need this kind of teaching here in Africa!"
"I just want to thank you for putting out the Disciplined Life series! I'm really enjoying it, and it has been such a great help for kicking off the New year with more intention and purpose- and consistency- than how I ended 2015."
"I appreciate the challenges and how relevant they are. They help me see better how to relate a proverb to my life, as sometimes I can acknowledge the general wisdom but not see the practical implication for me personally... Thank you also for doing so humbly and for often sharing the vulnerable things that you are learning in your own life."