Dear Discipleship-first Tribe,
Disciples of Jesus are facing a subtle but pervasive challenge in North America right now. Left unchecked, this challenge erodes the convictions of everyday disciples, leaders, and even entire churches. This challenge comes in the form of a mindset characterized by the following:
- Be tolerant
- Be accepting
- Be non-judgmental
- Be loving (sensitively compassionate)
- Be inclusive
As you look at that list, it surely contains great attributes, especially when practiced in the right way. But what happens when this mindset is appliedto all contexts and at all times, even in the face of the hard teachings of the Bible?
Here are some of the natural consequences of what happens when the church gives way to this mindset:
- Tolerance of all sin
- Acceptance of sinful lifestyles
- Passivity on heretical teachings
- Christian love is redefined as sentimental feelings
- Eschewing evangelism
Disciples of Jesus need to counter this impetus to undermine the teachings of the Bible.
Jesus showed us through his ministry a model that creates an alternative to the cultures of this world. Here are five manifestations or fruits, of Jesus-style disciple making that become part of a counter-cultural discipleship lifestyle:
- Tolerance is reframed—so we pursue both grace and truth
- We accept all sinful struggles—but we help each other pursue holy lifestyles
- We make good judgments—without being judgmental
- Love is defined by sacrificial action that follows Jesus’ teachings
- We work to invite everyone into the beauty of Jesus
How do we create this kind of community?
For King Jesus,
Bobby Harrington, Point-Leader Discipleship.org