Here are a podcast and notes on Tattoos & Piercings (37 minutes).
To download the podcast, right click on "download" and select "save link as" or "save target as" and you can download the podcast and listen to it later.
- Leviticus 19:28 -- but examine the context (the entire chapter). For sake of comparison, Muhammad forbade giving or receiving tattoos: Hadith al-Bukhari 3.299.
- New Testament principles
- Relating to others -- 1 Corinthians 9
- Avoiding worldliness -- 1 Corinthians 5-6
- Not insisting on one's rights; being willing to be sensitive to one's brothers -- 1 Corinthians 8:1-11:1
- Lovers of ourselves (vanity)? -- 2 Timothy 3:2
- Modesty -- 1 Peter 3:1-5, 1 Timothy 2:9-10
- Our bodies are not our own! -- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
- Don't overstate the case (Leviticus 19:28). This is most immediately an Old Testament principle.
- Consider others. Romans 14-15 should play into our discussion.
- Do tattoos, body art, or piercings draw excessive attention to ourselves?
- While such things may not be inherently sinful, they are not necessarily beneficial.
- The question to ask before getting a tattoo is: Am I honoring God with my body?