- The similarities (ultimate truth, longing for the holy) are greatly outweighed by the differences (God, goal, salvation...)
- General Revelation & Special Revelation
- Scripture (Bible)
- The person of Jesus Christ
- The history of Israel (OT)
- Wisdom of the elders
- Spiritual counsel
- Sunlight and moonlight
- Eastern and Western attitudes towards scripture
- Jeremiah 23 — power of self-deception (religious experience)
- Interactions: observant and respectful.
- Humility in interpretation: everyone interprets
- Judaism —Tanakh (Torah + Nevi’im + Kethuvim)
- Sound may be more important than content
- Missing narrative / borrowing from OT and NT
- Hadith – authorized records of words and deeds of Muhammad
- Imperfectly copied
- Hinduism — Many: all is one. Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita
- Jainism—Angas, Upangas
- Buddhism — Many: all is nothing. Tripitaka, Sutras
- Confucianism—Analects. Not really a religion — although there are temples.
- Taoism—Yin & Yang, Nature, Balance. A lot of magic, and Shamanism. I Ching, Dao de Jing
- Shinto—Kojiki, Nihongi, Yengishiki.
- Sikhism — Feels both Hinduistic and Muslim. Granth
- Baha’i — All roads lead to God? Writings of the Báb, Bahá'u'lláh, `Abdu'l-Bahá, Shoghi Effendi and the Universal House of Justice, and the authenticated talks of `Abdu'l-Bahá
- 19th C.
- Mormonism—Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants, (Modified) KJV
- Jehovah’s Witnesses—New World “Translation” + Watchtower literature
- 20th C.
- Christian Science—Science & Health with Key to the Scriptures
- Scientology— SciFi writing of L. Ron Hubbard
- Unification Church, or Moonies—The Divine Principle
- Christian Gnosticism—various
- Messianic Judaism
- Rastafarianism—Gospel of Ras Tafari
BIBLE: 7 reasons to trust it
- Correctly analyzes human predicament. A true story.
- Checks out (with history etc)
- Checks out in our lives, too
- Honest about failings of characters.
- Copied well
- Christ: in the Word we see the Word